"But what I did know put all that I didn't know into its place"


When I began reading my devotional tonight, it struck me right away.  The title was “The Powerful Hope In Peace”.  The author began sharing the story of the day she received her cancer diagnosis.  After leaving the doctor’s office with her husband, with many unknowns and uncertainties ahead of her, she broke down and cried.  After about fifteen minutes, as she began pulling herself together for the drive home, she describes the peace that settled over her:

“But what I did know put all that I didn’t know into its place.  I knew that God was on His throne.  I knew that He was still good and I was still loved.  I knew that Jesus took care of death for me a long time ago on an old rugged cross.  And I knew that He was with me every step of the way.”  -- Leighann McCoy

 

I cannot tell you how many times I have re-read the line, “But what I did know put all that I didn’t know into its place.”  What a powerful and simple thought!  While I had my moments of despair (and still do) after Scott’s death, I don’t think I ever lost sight of hope.  While I wouldn’t have used these exact words and I know I didn’t recognize it as such, I certainly feel like I had  (and still have) a hope, faith, and trust that God was going to take care of us and is continuing to take care of us.  I’m not sure that I can explain just how strongly this phrase has hit me.  I really believe that it needs to be my theme, my motto for my life.  No matter what comes my way – “But what I do know puts all that I don’t know into its place.”  What I do know is what matters in the end. 

 

Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again:  Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  – Philippians 4:4-7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nine years

"Normal"

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay